Pages

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Offering up Our Eyes

My head full of thoughts, but then again running mindlessly at the same time, accompanied me on my walk home this afternoon.  In the midst of my turning wheel of the less important, the Lord dropped this chorus into my heart and soul.

"...I can’t deny; You're way too evident.
I can’t ignore Your presence in this place.
Your grace is overwhelming, 

And I cannot hide all this love inside.
I can’t deny; I can’t deny."
("I Can't Deny" by 33 Miles)

Here are the people with whom I came into close contact today:
The bus driver who re-opened his door for me.
The owner of the bread shop near my work.
The family I work with, including the two kids who occupy most of my mornings.
The newly acquainted waitress at a café close to the church.
The two women sitting across from me during English class.
The girl at the fruterίa on my way home.
The one who appears inconvenienced by my presence in the store.  
The people with whom I work.
The people with whom I live.

What is it that all of these people, no matter the age, ethnicity, language abilities, etc., have in common?  Every one is made in the image of God.

In a lot of ways this has come up in many conversations as of late, and it has been on my heart today.  How is it that I interact with people on a daily basis?  How about in those moments where I am tired, frustrated, sad, lonely?  In fact, how do I view myself?

Genesis 1:27 says, "So God created man in His own image,
                 in the image of God He created him;
                 male and female He created them."

There is debate about what the implications of this verse are, but I believe that this can also be applied without having it all figured out.  Humans are created in the image of God; in fact they are the only creation that can claim this.  God created us after Himself, and there is much awe to be found in that truth.  Humans are to be treated with a manner of respect, as well as the love and the grace with which the Father loves each and every one of us.  We are to look out for the interests of others (Philippians 2:4).

When I look into the eyes of any of these people, regardless of the way I'm feeling, they have value.  I am to see them as God sees them, and it seems like a worthwhile prayer to ask God to help me see Jesus in each of them.  Also in this I can be reminded of my value because I'm made in the image of God and of my worth as a child of God because of Jesus.  

My motivation to love is because God first loved me (1 John 4:19).  He loved me when I was a sinner...who hated Him...unworthy of even His glance (Romans 5:8).  What I deserved was death, but instead He graciously gave me life (Romans 6:23).  He continues to offer forgiveness again and again, despite the pain of my sin (Daniel 9:9).  He pursues me and calls me home, casting my sin as far as the east is from the west (Psalm 103:12). 

Because of the great debt from which I've been released, I am freed to forgive much.  I don't want to buy into the "vengeance is mine" and "I have the right" attitudes.  I don't have a right to treat someone badly.  I don't have the right to kill someone in my heart.  I don't have the right to withhold forgiveness.  In the end, I just don't have the right.  

Don't get me wrong; I do my fair share of these things, even believing that I have these rights.  The reality though is that, in fact, I don't.  

I have "the right" to act out of "love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control" (Galatians 5:22-23).  Believers are called to a higher calling.

"I therefore, a prisoner for the Lord, urge you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace" (Ephesians 4:1-3).

If we are going to live up to this, and if we are going to see others and ourselves as bearing the image of God, we need Jesus.  We need Him to enlighten our eyes to see, our minds to know, and our hearts to believe.  May we call upon the Lord for His eyes, at the price of offering up our own.     

No comments:

Post a Comment