Pages

Thursday, February 28, 2013

A Walk Along the Coast


Crashing waves.  Lightning flashes.  Roaring thunder.
  
This morning and afternoon were filled with the beauty of the Lord's creation, unabashed and glorifying.  There is something about the beach that my spirit really connects with, or perhaps several.  

As I walked along the shore, the sand under my feet, the water spanning towards the coast of Africa, my heart was being refreshed...one beckoning wave at a time.  

I have many fond memories of my family being at the beach.  One of our favorite past-times at Fernandina Beach is the endless hours of gazing into the freshly dampened sand for shark teeth, both big and small.  I remember one specific day the tide and looking spot were perfect - a little cove was formed in the midst of the sand that was refilled with the little treasures every new wave.  My mom, sister, and I spent hours on end, bent over, in that one tiny spot.  

One other vivid memory came to mind.  During the midst of one family trip, my dad pulled the car over to a lake area where our family crawled over giant rocks searching for treasures that came as shells and unique rocks.  Needless to say rocks, seashells, and shark teeth have formed a special place  inside of my heart.

Walking along the coastline today I found beach glass, in reality being mostly beer bottles left on the shore, but having been broken and tumbled by the tide until smooth among every edge.  My mom's favorite is the minty-green colored pieces that look like old Coca-Cola bottles, which were in abundance today.  

These past few days in Tarifa, watching some kiddos with Becca, has done wonders to my heart.  The Lord knows that we need time away, to pull out of normal life, and let Him speak and work. 


Between enjoying the joy and laughter of the kids, being able to lay in bed for awhile in the morning, times of sweet worship where the Lord was so present, our big group hike along the coastline this morning, a Tex-Mex lunch, and an afternoon thunderstorm, I'm reminded even more of the Lord's blessing in my life and His constant affection.  

Finally I was reminded of one of my more emotional moments before heading over the Atlantic, having to do with a thunderstorm.  I was sitting on the long-used carpet floor of my college apartment, working on some sort of paperwork, when one of those typical Missouri storms rumbled through.  I remember crying as I thought about how Spain didn't have those.  

Of course that's kinda silly, but it was a culmination and also exhale of some of the emotions I was feeling.  Who but God would've known the irony that I would be on the Mediterranean and hear a "real" thunderstorm today? 

As the Lord let me experience the beauty and awe of His creation today, "This Is My Father's World" came to mind.  Here is a video that I hope can help you enter in as well to the greatness of our God.    



No comments:

Post a Comment