Pages

Sunday, February 17, 2013

Hidden Lives

There are many things in this picture that are countercultural to Spain.  Just to name a few:
-Eating on the street
-Wearing regular tennis shoes, as well as jeans with a flare
-Using a "hobo" bag
-Taking pictures of myself


Although I wasn't "fitting in" very well that morning, I kinda liked it.

  "For here we have no lasting city, but we seek the city that is to come."  (Hebrews 13:14)

Obviously this verse is not speaking to walking through the streets and "looking like an outsider," but in reality that's my life.  The blond hair, blue eyes don't exactly give me the appearance of a Spaniard. Often physical realities can remind us of spiritual truths.

I am not of this world.  

I so often try to be.  I seek to fit in, to be accepted, to not be the weird one.  I pursue comfort.  

The next verse in Hebrews gives us a different perspective, in light of the fact that we do not belong here:   "Through him then let us continually offer up a sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of lips that acknowledge his name."  (Hebrews 13:15)

Because our identity, strength, and even home are in a different place, we can be bold for the sake of Christ. It may seem like we have a lot to lose, but in reality, there is so much to gain.  

Jesus gave up everything, even to the point of death.  

What will our lives of sacrifice look like today?  Acknowledging our faith in Christ?
Looking foolish?  Appearing like we don't have it all together?  Losing sleep?  Risking rejection?  

These can all be steps of faith, along with more than I can begin to list.  God calls each of us to something different, each day.  May we be in step with the Spirit and remember...
OUR LIVES ARE HIDDEN ON HIGH.

No comments:

Post a Comment