Pages

Monday, July 30, 2012

Embracing the Siesta...


After my first Spanish siesta (ending up as a literal three-hour nap), Kassie made soup for dinner.  This was a good reminder of home, especially as my Mom’s soups are one of my favorite things to eat.  Then we loaded up the kids in the stroller and walked to the local for our evening service.  I really enjoyed being a part of the service.  I think worship will get easier to feel a part of as I learn more Spanish and don’t have to focus so much upon translating the words.  There were several songs I knew in English though, “Lord, I Lift Your Name on High,” “Above All,” and “The Power of Your Love.” 

I am very thankful that I could understand a good bit of the message, although it took a lot of concentration.   I caught my mind wandering at times.  J  I attribute the ability to understand to the Lord (His help in remembering what I was taught many years ago), as well as my friends and teammates, Alicia and Lorena (many golf trip conversations in Spanish to which I was privy). 

Last night was a solid message on finding those people in our lives that we are to invest in and those who are going to invest in us.  This was an interesting first topic for me, especially as I consider what that looks like for my time in Granada specifically. 

After the message we broke into small groups to pray, of which I took part in an English group.  It was a struggle for me emotionally, and I’m not quite sure why exactly.  I think things are a little overwhelming, but it so encouraging to know I have so many people back home praying for me, as well as those here.  It is such a blessing to know those on the team have been through this transition and that it’s okay to be weak.  Jesus is strong when we are not.   

I had the opportunity to have a conversation with a family from Ecuador, which was a neat experience.  Although my Spanish has much room to grow, I was able to have a broken conversation giving a little about myself and hearing some about their lives.  They were very gracious.  I hope to be able to have someone write down their names for me so that I can better understand and remember them. 

A few of the girls on the team and I went to have gelato after church, and it was nice to experience a cool breeze and cold treat amidst the heat.  The past few days (fortunately for myself, since I arrived) have been cooler.  In order to stay out of the heat, most all of the stores are closed for a siesta, which is from 2-5 pm or so.  I have definitely taken advantage of this more than once.  I could get used to this – or perhaps I have that Spanish gene in me already.  At least I know I enjoy naps in the US too!  J

No comments:

Post a Comment