Pages

Sunday, July 29, 2012

This is Where I Live


After my trek to the right gate, writing my blog, reading some, listening to music, trying Chai tea, and walking around, I still had time left before my flight to Malaga.  As I was sitting there attempting to read, I kept doing the nod where my book started to fall out of my hand…and I imagined everyone was looking.  Ha.  As much as I wanted to sleep, I knew I would be the girl who missed her flight, which was definitely not a good option. 

Although I did not have much of a desire to be social, I went ahead and started a conversation with the girl who sat right beside me (I think there must have been other open seats, right? J).  It was definitely beneficial for staying awake.  Ana was around my age, and actually from Córdoba, a city fairly close to Granada.  She has much better English than my Spanish, but she helped me a little bit with some grammar questions.  Because of the degree she wants to pursue, she applied to the University of Granada and is on the wait list.  We exchanged emails, and this might be the Lord opening a door for a future roommate.  At this point, I am going to be moving in with an intern on the team, and we will go from there.  I am really excited for this opportunity to begin relationships with other teammates and natives both. 

I was out within about five minutes of the flight I believe, and it was such a blessing to get a little shut-eye.  When I woke up, I went to ask for some water, and I was asked what kind.  I forgot there was an option for regular vs. carbonated, so my answer eventually was, “No bubbles.”  J 

I arrived in Malaga, waited for a long time before realizing my bags were inside customs, and finally made it to the pick-up area in the airport.  I was so relieved to hear my name and see familiar faces!  The drive to Granada was beautiful – lined with more olive trees than one could count and lots of mountains.  As we were driving into the city, I was thinking, “Wow.  This is where I live now.”  How cool is that.

Last night Brian, Kassie, and the kids helped me beat the jet lag by taking me to a tapas place (basically servings of appetizers everyone shares).  I’ve been to one twice in St. Louis with my coach and teammates from Spain, and it was a neat experience to have in their home country.  Hopefully I will be able to enjoy them with those girls at some point during this year as well! 

Between last night and this morning, we walked around a good part of the area.  It is going to take awhile, but Brian and Kassie have given me hope that someday soon I will be able to navigate the streets efficiently.  Churros, toast with tomato jelly, and café con leche were a great way to begin the morning.  I can honestly say I never imagined sliced toast with tomato, olive oil, vinegar, and salt as a breakfast food, but it is delicious – and extremely inexpensive. 

At this point I am not feeling very tired, which is a blessing.  I am hoping to adjust to the time schedule quickly, and it doesn’t seem like the food should be an issue.  I miss everyone at home, but I love it here already, at least so far.  J  I would appreciate prayers for adjusting, finding my place among the team here, and making time with the Lord a priority every day.  This has been a struggle for me, but I want to begin with making it a must, but not a to-do list.  I am so thankful to be here with Brian, Kassie, and the kids and to grow in my relationship with them as well.  Thanks so much for the prayers for us all!     

No comments:

Post a Comment