Pages

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

A Trip to the Park


Brian and Kassie are in the process of moving to an apartment, which has many blessings attached.  The complex has a nice park area and pool, which are going to be great for the kids and I to enjoy while Brian and Kassie are in class.  I was able to watch the kids for the first time in the morning, so Kassie could meet the lady cleaning their apartment and those putting in their kitchen cabinets, appliances, etc. 

Malaki, Cora, Jairus, and I spent a good part of the morning playing on the playground.  They have some bouncy animal “rides” (for lack of a better term) who are now affectionately named Ribo the elephant and Tex the horse I believe.  I enjoyed spending time with the kids getting to know them better, as well as them for me. 

Kassie and another lady on the team joined us for some swim time, and it was surprisingly chilly for such a warm day!  The pool seems like it could be a good place to meet people, although it was fairly empty during the time we were there (before siesta).  There was a cute little Spanish boy reading a book in the shade though.  J

My attempt to avoid a siesta did not go very well; I was quite tired again.  Ha.  In the evening I had one of my first experiences talking with someone who I believe assumed I understood way more Spanish than I actually do!  He kept talking at 100 miles a minute, but thankfully there was another guy who spoke a few less words, and a little slower.  It is exciting to think I might be able to understand and communicate at that level sometime (hopefully soon!). 

I learned the tricks of making grilled cheese with real bread last night – it takes a lot longer!  On that note, so do “short runs to the grocery.”  Brian, Kassie, and I ended the evening with an episode of Monk, which brings back good memories of my sister Shelly and friend Rachel.  They are good at giving me reminders of home.  J    

No comments:

Post a Comment