Pages

Monday, April 29, 2013

Blast from the Past

This Christmas when I visited Alicia in the North of Spain, I got the opportunity to scan her bookshelves and borrow a few adolescent novels.  I know it sounds pretty ridiculous...but, you start where you can, right?  J

One of the books I borrowed was Pippi Longstocking (or Pippi Calzaslargas, as it's called in Spanish).  I had started the book during holiday siestas at her house, but sadly I had only arrived at the first few chapters before today.  Since my nanny job is on hold for a little bit, I have more time to devote to different things - in this case being language study.

This afternoon I was able to read about half the book out loud (but quietly enough as not to disturb my flatmates..ha, ha) and finished it this evening!!  It definitely brought to mind the movie I saw so long ago - red braids, little monkey, and all.  

I know it can seem perhaps trivial, but for me it's a big deal.  I was thinking back to my high school Spanish classes where I only remember "reading" parts of Don Quijote and The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, as well as some short stories.  "Reading" because it was more akin to work: looking up every word, translating, conjugating...thinking, thinking, thinking.

This book, at least what I read today, I was able to just read (though not to imply that I understood every word).  It was pretty great!  God is good all the time.

Tonight I'm going to bed encouraged, as well as estimating just how long my next juvenile book might take.  J 

And with some anticipated chagrin, I will show you why this book might have hit even closer to home...


P.S.  In case you were wondering, no, I don't dress like this everyday.  
Halloween my junior year of college?  Perhaps.  

No comments:

Post a Comment