Pages

Saturday, November 17, 2012

A Week at a Glance


This week was filled with some neat cultural experiences:

Tuesday night – I got to attend the English class, Thanksgiving dinner at my church.  I got to meet some really cool ladies from different countries and cultures, who come together to learn English.  One of my friends gave a great lesson on the history of Thanksgiving so that everyone could follow (whatever level), combined with a Pilgrim and Native American skit starring…da, da, da…us!!!  Quite memorable.  J

Thursday – I had a surprise day-off, which turned into an experience of making zucchini bread.  I tried my hand using sunflower oil and made a big mess, and I was really happy with the way it turned out!  That evening I sat in on a local, Spanish, Christian, university group meeting, which my apartment hosted.  Big groups are inevitably harder for me to understand, but I enjoyed the atmosphere of the group a lot.  I finished the night with my now-weekly tv series with my Spanish roommate.  It’s a Spanish drama series called El Barco, and believe it or not, I think it’s helping me with my Spanish comprehension!

Friday – In the evening I watched four Spanish kids for a few hours, coming after prayer for the Lord to help me.  He did!  It was a fun time of being taught Spanish by little children, having dinner around a heated table, playing hide-and-seek and an imaginary game (where I had no clue what was going on J), coloring, checking out their Christmas lists (here they go to the wise men, or Reyes Magos), and just being crazy.  After leaving their house, I joined my friends for the end of a fiesta, Downton Abbey style, for one of our friends who is getting married in December.  A lovely night indeed.   

No comments:

Post a Comment