Pages

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Steps of Faith


Yesterday I believe the Lord let me be a light into a woman’s life in my neighborhood, but it raised legitimate questions in my mind as well.  What started out as a smile led to a deep conversation. 

Last night and this morning, I was thinking about the conversation, the woman, people’s situations, etc.  I often find it hard to relate to other people’s situations and experiences, but I know that we are called to love on people either way.  In the long run, it’s Jesus who truly relates – not us. 

I was reminded of a conversation I had with my friend Lezlee before leaving for Spain.  She gave me a different perspective on sharing the light I have inside with those who have many needs, when I have been so blessed.  She drew my attention to look at the people for whom Jesus came to earth and with whom He spent much of His time. 

When thinking about this in regards to my conversation last night, I began to think about Jesus and Joseph (in the Old Testament).  Jesus and Joseph both went through a ton of terrible stuff, physical suffering and otherwise, that was not “their burden to bear.”  Joseph suffered much but was blessed much for his continued faith in God.  Jesus took our sin and the entire wrath of God to the cross because of absolutely nothing He had done wrong. 

These are just two examples of men who loved the Lord and trusted His timing and protection, even when I’m sure their circumstances seemed unbearable.  They didn’t cry out of injustice.  They bore the brunt of unfair consequences (in connection with their blameless actions).  That would take a lot of faith and believing that God is ultimately bigger than our earthly suffering. 

Right now the Holy Spirit is calling me to determine whether I believe God is big enough to save me, whether I trust Him to speak on my behalf instead of me, and whether being in any circumstance with Him is better than a choice circumstance without Him.  My prayer is “Lord, I believe; help my unbelief.” 

Jesus is to be the object of our faith – despite our circumstances.    

No comments:

Post a Comment