Pages

Monday, January 28, 2013

A Cultural Event


Yesterday I embarked on a truly cultural experience with Becca.  One of the newest girls we’ve met in an intercambio (or language exchange) invited us to her concert.  She plays the flute and piccolo in a band, and come to find out, it’s a huge ordeal! 

I was expecting a small, more coffee-shop experience (although, yes, I know those don’t typically involve flautists).  My bad, lol.  Anyway, we arrived to a large mass of people waiting for direction, sticking out quite sufficiently with our blond hair, blue eyes, “deer-in-the-headlights” looks. 

After finding our friend, we found our seats, and a complete concert with three marching bands ensued.  All of these bands are typical of Semana Santa (or Easter week), which includes daily processions featuring many local bands and the virgin.  Between this concert and the Ofrenda Floral (which you can read about at http://cuentosdemicaelaenespana.blogspot.com/2012/09/ofrenda-floral.html), I believe I have a little better picture now of what to expect come March. 









I was impressed by the performances – sounds which before I hadn’t heard, the absence of a conductor for the marches, the variance of the performer’s ages, the seriousness of those involved, and our friend’s talent.  I even had some flashbacks to my days in conducting class.

How much there is to learn about culture, music, and the mixing of the two into cultural music.  

No comments:

Post a Comment