Pages

Saturday, January 19, 2013

Removing the Log in Our Own Eye


On Thursday morning, I woke up slightly late but still wanted to prepare some coffee for my meeting before leaving the apartment.  This is very American of me but something I’m not exactly looking to change in order to fit into the culture better.  Ha J

After I settled my two and a half spoons of frozen ground coffee into the French press, I proceeded to push the air out of the coffee bag.  Unfortunately this allowed a granule of coffee to launch up into my eye.  I can’t remember ever having quite this experience. 

Having my eye close up in pain, with both eyes crying profusely, while attempting to explain the situation in Spanish to my roommate was quite a memory.  Ten minutes or so later I was quite thankful to have the granule dislodged, despite my teary eyes.  Further adding to the story, I forgot my coffee – already in my thermos with milk and sugar added – on my bedside table. 

Fast-forward to my wandering mind partway into the meeting: there’s a Bible verse that deals with having something in your eye.  Yeah, I think I might have a little more context in which to place said verse now. 

Matthew 7:1-5 says, “Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you. Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when there is the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye.”

I believe the Lord has been working on me during the last year and a half or so in the area of judging others.  Often I would see the “sin” of others, be it true or not, and judge them in my heart.  Along with the Lord’s breaking of this critical spirit, He has shown me a lot of pride and legalism masked under religion in my life. 

Although this hasn’t been easy, it’s been great.  What value there is when the Lord reveals to us the speck (or the LOG) in our own eye.  From personal (albeit physical) experience, having something in one’s eye is debilitating.  We cannot see clearly.  Yet we still try to fix someone else while not dealing with our own issues.  Isn’t the Lord’s grace towards us incredible? 

If you are anything like me, the every-day gospel is the best news we can encounter.  When I judge, live in pride, worship idols, misuse my tongue, react out of my insecurity, etc., the Lord is gracious.  He opens my eyes to my sin, so I can see how much I need Jesus.  Once I’m reminded of that, it allows me to have more grace, compassion, and mercy on those who sin against me.  I can forgive much because I’ve been forgiven.  I can love much because I am constantly loved.

I still have a long way to go, but it’s doable because the Lord is for me.  He is committed to my refining sanctification so I come to reflect Jesus more. 

I’m far from perfect; I mess up lots.  But Jesus came for those who can’t do it.  He alone is able. 

May the Lord in His grace show us where we aren’t living out of faith so that this unconditional love and grace becomes our first response to others.         

No comments:

Post a Comment