Pages

Thursday, January 3, 2013

The Silver Lining of a Hard Goodbye


Ever since I was little I've hated goodbyes. I've hated the tears, the sadness, the heartache. If being completely honest, as I grew older I hated the weakness, neediness, and fear that surfaced in my heart and were displayed in my thoughts and emotions.

As I thought about saying goodbye to Alicia today, my friend from "the States," I started to reflect on Jesus. Hebrews says that He is out great high priest who can relate with us in all our weakness.

Specifically in the arena of leaving a loved one, He experienced it more than we ever could. There is no end to the depth of Jesus' relationship with God the Father. Perfect. Unconditionally known, accepted, loved.

Jesus left perfect communion to make a way for us to experience that same reality. He said the hardest goodbye anyone could ever say - to come to a world where He would come face-to-face with the frailty of man.

His interactions with people on earth, at worst, were marked by non-acceptance and hatred, to the point of a crowd shouting "Crucify Him!" Even His best friends betrayed Him in the face of death.

Yet He still loved.

What valid reason have I to pull back, to not love, to selfishly guard myself, to keep things shallow - so I don't have to experience the pain of a goodbye?  That not only hurts me, but it keeps others from being able to pour into my life too.

Jesus in me should give me all the acceptance, identity, and love I need. On top of this, He's blessed me with amazing family and friends who give me a glimpse of what it is to be the daughter, the friend, the lover of my Savior and king of the Universe. I can open my heart to love - both to give and to receive - because I know who holds me in His hands.

Instead of running from a hard goodbye, as a believer we can embrace it - knowing that we are truly blessed and are never alone in the pain of it all.

We are weak and needy, but we have a strength named Jesus. It's easier, though not easy, to risk our hearts when we know there is unending love in the Comforter who meets us right where we are.

This is the good news of Jesus in my life today.


"Since then we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus, the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need."  (Hebrews 4:14-16 ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment