Pages

Saturday, January 5, 2013

His Eye is on the Sparrow


As I come to the computer this morning, my heart is heavy.  There is a weight that comes with the realization of sin, and adversely an immense joy that comes with the understanding that Jesus’ blood covers the ugliness of our hearts.  I’m coming to see that jumping straight to the best news is not always what is needed though. 

To more fully understand what Jesus means in our lives, we must come to see how much we truly need Him.  The deeper we come to see our true nature without Christ – how great the gap is between us and holiness – the more we come to depend on Jesus.

For the first time in a couple weeks, I walked around my city.  Usually I sleep in on Saturday morning because I am tired, but today I am remembering why I want to wake up earlier and see the city on the weekends. 

There are shops that have closed down since I’ve been gone.  There are more people begging on the streets than I remember.  There is more pain than perhaps I cared to notice before. 

 This morning as I was sitting at an outdoor café table for breakfast, a little brown bird perched on the top of the plastic chair beside me.  It even came within a couple feet from me and made me laugh.  It made me think about Matthew 10:29-31.

“Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? And not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father. But even the hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not, therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows.”

While I was in Zaragoza, Alicia and I were eating our lunch outside of a café.  A man came up to our table asking for money, and I didn’t say anything…or even look him in eye.  I can make excuses – I was nervous, uncomfortable, didn’t know what to do.  These fall short though, way short. 

A sparrow does not even fall without the Father knowing; of how much more value is a human life.  I can’t help every needy person, and the way in which the Lord calls us to help is different perhaps every time.  One thing does not change though. 

We are all made in the image of God

I don’t know that man’s story, but I know that God loves Him.  I know that he deserves to be looked in the eye.  I know that he is no less of a person than I am, perhaps even that day he was more of one.    

So that is my heavy heart.  As I ask the Lord for forgiveness today, I know He holds out open arms.  He doesn’t look down upon us in disappointment that cause us to run to shame.  This unconditional love, in the face of our depravity, is what changes us.

I think God was saddened by my ignorance and selfishness though.  He wants to give us more of His heart towards others.  He wants us to love as He loves.  He wants us to show people their worth in Christ. 

“Lord, help me to love what You love and hate what You hate.  Help me to ‘do justice, love mercy, and walk humbly with You.’” (Micah 6:8)

No comments:

Post a Comment