Pages

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Yet More Language Experiences


I officially have two roommates now: one from Spain and one from Mexico.  I had a decent conversation in Spanish with my new roommate (as of today), and I am excited to see how living with native speakers helps me in my learning (both in comprehension and speech).  It is pretty amusing when you think you understand something and offer a response, only to find out that you totally misunderstood what was being said.  It lends for laughs and memories though.  J

I went back to one of the cafes that has intercambios tonight with Becca, and it ended up being really good.  When we entered, she and I got split up between tables, which definitely forced me to focus more because it was me with four Granadinos (who tend to have pretty difficult accents to follow). 

The conversation was mostly small talk for the first while, but later it turned more to spiritual things with one of the guys.  It never ceases to amaze me – or should I say amazes me all the time? – that I can’t turn conversations that way.  Be it fear of man or just not wanting to be awkward, I am convicted that it shouldn’t really matter.  The more I realize my inadequacy here though, the greater testimony it is of the Lord’s work when He draws the conversation towards Himself.  He is the best at it anyway. 

“And I tell you, everyone who acknowledges me before men, the Son of Man also will acknowledge before the angels of God…” (Luke 12:8).  I desire to surrender to where He is working – to speak to those people – all the while remembering it is not I that can do it.  On my own, I would keep my mouth shut (and sadly often do).  This is an area in which the Lord is working, and I want my heart’s cry to be a resounding, “Yes!”

P.S.  My first homemade brown sugar was delicious…yes, I did try a bite.  J  It definitely helps to know the name of what you are looking for in the native language.  Such a plus.   

No comments:

Post a Comment