Pages

Sunday, September 23, 2012

A Fire on the Balcony


For my cross-cultural training, we read about crisis and non-crisis orientation.  Although I don’t fully understand what this comparison means, I believe there is something to say about any culture here, but specifically Spanish culture right now. 

Last night I was having dinner at Brian and Kassie’s, and a commotion was raised outside.  While looking out the window periodically, it became apparent that there was a planter that had caught on fire, and many of the people from the complex were gathering to observe it.  Quite interesting.

The firemen finally arrived, and it seemed that they took their time in using multiple ladders, hoses, ten-ish people, etc. to get the fire “contained.”  Eventually one fireman climbed onto the balcony, placed the burning planter on the balcony floor, and stomped it out. 

As soon as the fire was out, the audience began to clap.  Malaki and I watched some of the events from the staircase window, and I enjoyed seeing his excitement over the occurrence.  He was so pumped to tell his grandparents about it!! 

It made me consider how people would respond to such an “event” in the States.  Either way, the people got quite a show with the multiple police cars, fire truck, and work done to put out the minimal flame.  

No comments:

Post a Comment