Pages

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Like Sheep Without a Shepherd


Heidi Baker is a missionary who is being used greatly by the Lord in Mozambique and around the world.  In her book Compelled by Love she says, “God hears the cry of the poor even when we are not all pure in heart.  He opens our ears to hear the cries of the hungry children, and He softens our hearts toward them – to help them.  He honors our faith in Him and our desperation to do whatever is necessary.  God’s compassion meets us in our desperation” (13-14).

Today was one of my first days truly doing ministry among some of the people in Spain, and it brought my thoughts toward Jesus.  As I watched some of my teammates love on little kids by treating their lice and boiling their sheets, it made me think how much Jesus loved the people with whom He came into contact.  Despite His desire for time alone with the Father, He would stop in His tracks with compassion for the multitudes.

“When he saw the crowds, he had compassion for them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd. Then he said to his disciples, “The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few; therefore pray earnestly to the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into his harvest” (Matthew 9:36-38). 
 
I have the opportunity this week to love on some kids who are open to Jesus and want someone to love them.  There are so many who are “harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd,” and I know that Shepherd.  May I not lose heart and neglect to pray, and may I have compassion on the least of these, forgetting myself in the process.  May “God’s compassion [meet] us in our desperation.”

Father, please continue to make us in the image of Your Son.  Make us men and women after Your heart.       

No comments:

Post a Comment