Pages

Monday, September 10, 2012

Feria del Zaidín





 For most of the last week, music has made its way from nearby the fύtbol stadium to our apartment, especially during the late hours.  The reason for this loud, canned music with the occasional concert mixed in, was the Feria del Zaidín.  Basically this means another reason to celebrate through a neighborhood fair.  Ha, ha

I walked past when they were setting up, but I wasn’t convinced I should experience it until someone on my team sent me a picture of some fair food.  My family has made a tradition of going to the SantaCaliGon Festival the past several years (which I’ve missed the past four years unfortunately L).  One of the favorite things my mom and I usually share is candied nuts, and I had to try them here.  Not quite the same (almonds instead of pecans), but still great! 

The Feria was crazy!!!  So many people, so much loud music, and so many kids!  It didn’t open until eight each night, which is not a problem because culturally, kids go to bed really late.  I walked by a plaza a little before midnight this past week, and there were toddlers walking around!  I’m not sure as a parent I could adjust to that schedule.  Lol 

Anyway, there were multiple bounce-houses, bumper car stations, and mini train rides.  The train ride Becca and I stopped to check out was decked out in Disney, and the “conductor” was fully dressed in matador costume.  He was quite amusing with his dance moves and smiling for the camera.  There was also a man dressed in a Spiderman costume who hit the train occupants with a broom.  I’m not sure the reasoning behind that one! 

They even had cotton candy (advertised as algodon dulce – literally sweet cotton J), with strange flavor options – such as bubble gum, coca cola, vanilla, and chocolate.  Lastly, the grilled corn had the consistency of half-crunchy corn on the cob but tasted just like popcorn.  How exactly does that happen?     

I really enjoyed the experience, as it was definitely different but also reminiscent of the States.  Fairs even happen in Spain.   

No comments:

Post a Comment