Pages

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

A Morning of Crepes


Today has been a nice day off – consisting of sleeping in, food, friends, some American tv, and studying.  This morning Hannah, Becca, and I were given a lesson in making crepes by a local friend.  I was extremely impressed by her fingers’ heat capacity.  We chose to give in and use a spatula.

I haven’t had crepes very often, and homemade is always the better choice – at least in my limited experience.  It is amusing to think back to when my mom and I made cinnamon-apple crepes for a Spanish party; this was during my early high school years, perhaps?  It’s funny because I think crepes are Italian.  [It's even funnier that Alicia just helped me out.  They are French. J ]   Either my memory is failing me and it was for my intercultural class in junior high…or I was too trusting of my internet research.  Who knows?  It honestly could be either.  J    

This summer holds the other good memory I have of crepes.  After playing a round of golf in high humidity, Alicia made me some delicious crepes with Nutella.  I like that our brains were created to associate things together.  In my mind at least, certain food is connected with memories and people. 

I am working through a beginner Spanish book for memory’s sake and getting back into the swing of language learning.  I will possibly take a class or get a tutor sometime soon, but it’s better to begin somewhere than just assume I will naturally pick up everything…especially since this hasn’t happened as of yet.  After skyping with my Spanish friends the other day, I am thankful they were gracious to not pop the hopeful bubble I had in anticipation of “close-to-automatic fluency.”  Ha.  The possibility of living with Spanish roommates in the future would help with the immersion technique though.  We shall see all that God has in store!  Exciting times.    

No comments:

Post a Comment