Pages

Saturday, August 11, 2012

Experiencing Another Culture


Living in Granada is bringing with it a new learning of several cultures.  I was given the opportunity to experience a large part of another culture yesterday evening!  Right now a month of fasting is in progress for their culture.  The idea of them breaking their fast each evening at dark was something I didn’t think about much before now. 

Hannah and I got to experience this breaking of the fast with a local family last night.  On the walk there, I realized I was going into an evening of Spanish only, and I was hit with the feelings of “Why am I going?”  I started praying that the Lord would bless me in my Spanish-speaking and make me more like Jesus – an instrument of grace and truth. 

I am so glad that I went!  I enjoyed very much seeing the interactions of the family and learning more of their way throughout the evening and in conversation with Hannah afterward.  Their culture is one of great hospitality – especially in sharing of their food and drink.  We had banana milk and hot tea, which were both delicious!  I loved watching the wife pour our tea from several feet above the glass.  I believe this is possibly connected with what my friend Rachel told me about being in @frica – the more foam there is on the tea, the more hospitable one is seen as. 

I learned how to open a shrimp, which was a good experience, especially since I did not want to eat the eyes!  Ha.  I also was glad I tried the liver of lamb before knowing what it was; I can honestly say it is not my kind of food.  I think that I can try most anything once though.

After the meal the table was cleared, and the men left the house.  We got to play Uno with the girls and mom, and it was a lot of fun.  I realized you can observe a lot about people by playing games with them (as is the same with me I’m sure).  Having the girls around was a big help to me with being more comfortable and willing to converse.  The atmosphere is a lot lighter with kids around, especially due to the laughter.  It brought me joy to play with them and converse where I could.  How gracious they were to have us in their home, and I hope to be able to get to know them better in the future.      

No comments:

Post a Comment