Pages

Monday, August 6, 2012

Country Music and Conchitas


Can I mention again how much I am enjoying being able to read?  I feel like I’ve rediscovered my childhood self in that regard; I forgot how much I enjoy it. 

Since our service here is on Sunday evening, Sunday mornings seem like they will be a great time to relax, gaze at God’s creation (gorgeous mountains) from my balcony, and pull out the guitar.  The music-playing has to be before or after siesta though.  Hannah and I were just mentioning how most of the people in our apartment building seem to be on vacation, but I’m definitely not looking to make any enemies yet! 

Sunday evenings are a good time to meet people and work on my Spanish; it’s definitely not easy to be in a service where it’s hard to understand most of what’s being said.  I now have a small picture of what it’s like for international students on my college campus back home.  It is difficult not to fall asleep – concentrating super hard seems to bring that temptation, at least for me!  The message on Mary and Martha was a good reminder that although doing things for the Lord is good, the best thing is sitting at His feet.  Time spent in His Word and in prayer is not wrongly spent.  As I heard a pastor say last spring, “We seem fine to waste time on other things, so why can’t we ‘waste time’ with Jesus?”

I met a Spanish girl named Alba at the local who knew English and but was willing to help me with Spanish.  She was a blessing; she was kind and helped me with words I did not know – with a great laugh and smile.  Her music of choice, at least that she enjoys, is country and bluegrass.  Who would have thought that Scotty McCreery was even popular over here?  I hope to enjoy her company again. 

I decided to be adventurous, and with a little doctoring, the conchitas (little shell pasta), spinach, tomato, and spaghetti sauce turned out decent.  The sauce I purchased this time around definitely mimics that of Spaghettios.  Just a little dolled up and perhaps the closest thing I could find around here.  J  I’m adding a picture of the meal with some sliced bread.  One thing I learned about bread: don’t buy this type expecting it to stay soft for long.      

No comments:

Post a Comment