Pages

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

A Run-in with Squid and Octopus


I truly wish I had carried my camera last night to the tapas restaurant!  Brian, Kassie, the kids, and I went to a tapas place that serves seafood, and between the food and our faces it was definitely picture-worthy.  The plate of ham they brought first leads me to believe that Spaniards eat the fat along with the meat off of a pig leg.  The legs are hanging everywhere in store windows and meat sections – they are pretty popular.  The jamón serrano (or dry-cured meat) is decent, but I think I’ll stick with mostly the lunch meat variety. 

The calamari they brought out looked quite normal and was delicious.  It was followed by a plate of octopus, which was indeed more “live looking.”  Cora was definitely unsure at first, and Kassie and I were pretty hesitant.  Anything that looks like the animal is more or less a bit scary to me.  Brian helped me out with talking about the suction cups on the legs.  Ha.  It’s still kind of getting my stomach turning.  It was better than I thought it would be, but the chewiness (involving almost more than teeth to cut) was a little disconcerting.  My decision is next time I’ll probably stick with the calamari.  J

Malaki, Cora, and Jairus all enjoy pretending to be animals, and the animal of choice at the park last evening was the wolf dog.  I love kids’ imaginations.  They are good at making up stories about hyenas stealing a family of cats and then proceeding to save the cat family.  I uploaded a video of Cora and Jairus from last week pretending to be dogs with their popcorn.  It gave me a good laugh and thought you might enjoy it too!   

No comments:

Post a Comment