Pages

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Meeting with the Father


In connection with my time here, I have the opportunity to go through a discipleship program.  My lesson this week, which I finished today, was on meeting with the Father.  I believe I grew up hearing the most about God the Father – out of the Trinity.  Towards the end of high school I had more of an emphasis on the Holy Spirit, and in college my thoughts were pointed more towards Jesus. 

Each part of the Trinity is His own person, and an essential part of the Godhead.  I’m not going to assert in any way that I understand the Trinity, but I do know that God is three-in-one and expresses Himself in all three to us.  Salvation is a mighty work by all three – we are made righteous before the Father through Jesus’ death and resurrection, and it’s the Spirit’s work to bring us and keep us in this salvation.  Each person of the Trinity also continues to play a vital part in our relationship with God.    

Part of the mentioned lesson was focusing on how I would like to see my attitude in regards to prayer changed.  I greatly desire to be the type of person where my prayers move God’s heart.  I know they can.  Abraham found favor in his prayers before the Lord by faith (Genesis 18).  I want to have great faith.  I want to be a woman after God’s own heart such as David (Acts 13:22).  I want to pray what’s on the Father’s heart.  It’s in those times that I am filled with so much awe of who God is.  
  
One of the final questions was in regards to what I could pray that would be bold.  As I was praying and thinking, the Lord broke through to show me that if I was utterly dependent on Him, I would be a completely different person.  Dependence on the Lord can break free anxiety, control, fear of man, pride, co-dependence, independence, etc.  My prayer is that the Lord will make me completely dependent on Him. 

In the midst of this – in this process – I want to learn how to enjoy God.  I want to desire to spend time with my heavenly Father.  I want to believe that I am delighted in by Him.  Because it seems when people become confident in the Father’s great love for them, they are changed.  They are full of joy and able to minster out of His love, which is infinitely greater than what they have to offer. 

I pray the same for you.  I pray that you may come to know and believe the love that God has for you (1 John 4:16).  It will make all the difference.   

No comments:

Post a Comment