Pages

Friday, August 17, 2012

Out of the Mouths of Babes


This morning the kids and I were playing at the park and having some good conversation.  Malaki made some comment about how he was good at some activity but followed it with saying he was good at loving God too.  I asked him how he loved God, and this led to a consensus that sometimes we need Him to teach us how to love Him – I often feel this way.  I told Malaki that one way we know we can love God, because the Bible tells us, is to obey God’s commandments.  He asked if by obeying we were able to be God’s children. 

This is something many of us struggle to understand, and it’s incredible to me that an almost-five-year-old is already asking such questions.  It is encouraging to know that gospel conversations can come upon us at any moment.  The great news is that we can’t do anything to become children of God; Jesus has already accomplished everything necessary on the cross.  We become sons and daughters of God, not by our good performance, reputation, etc.  We are given this gift, through faith – which is even something I don’t believe we can choose on our own (Ephesians 2:8-9).

By God’s grace alone we take part in Jesus’ inheritance as children of God.  What a miracle! 

“In the same way we also, when we were children, were enslaved to the elementary principles of the world. But when the fullness of time had come, God sent forth his Son, born of woman, born under the law, to redeem those who were under the law, so that we might receive adoption as sons. And because you are sons, God has sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, crying, “Abba! Father!” So you are no longer a slave, but a son, and if a son, then an heir through God” (Galatians 4:3-7). 

I was given the opportunity to remind Malaki of the truth that nothing we do can make us, or undo us, as God’s children.  Just as his parents love him, even when he disobeys, so does God.  He is still their son.  When I think about it, obedience can be evidence of being God’s child (God told us so), but it comes down to the heart.  Why do we do the things we do?  Do we obey to gain favor or out of genuine love?  It often changes, but God desires our love.  The gospel is that Jesus is everything.  It can never be said enough, and I thank God for the questions of this little boy I get to share lives with this year.  I need the constant reminders of what Jesus did – and is doing – for me. 

I want to wake up each morning overcome by the grace that I am given.    

No comments:

Post a Comment