Pages

Friday, August 10, 2012

Boasting in Our Weakness


The song in my heart and on my lips last night was this: “Lord, You are good, and Your mercy endureth forever...You are good, all the time; all the time, You are good!”

God knows just what we need, and He also knows what we can handle.  Yesterday I was feeling pretty discouraged about my language abilities.  I was frustrated with the fact that even if I wanted to go pray for someone, I didn’t feel that I could.  I was also struggling with the idea that, in my mind, ministry could be a lot “easier” if I was married.  In one sense I would have someone with whom I could go out to minister – not having to be so concerned about safety specifically.  I’m sharing this because I want you to be able to see where I was mentally and emotionally. 

Spiritually, I’ve been realizing this is going to be a huge time of learning to depend on the Lord over everything else.  I’m quick to latch on to things or people, but He is showing me He needs to be the first one we run to.  Throughout some days I’ve been lifting up prayers of my unbelief, wanting to trust Him, and asking for more of His grace.

As I was walking home yesterday, He reminded me that He knows everything and He is able to touch our desperation – no matter the cause.  As I was reading in a book the other day, God uses our frustration to show us something about ourselves and our walk with the Lord.  For me, it seems like He was reminding me that all I need at this point is Him and friendships can be built, despite my inability. 

Now to how He proved Himself good yet again.  I was walking through a playground area where parents and kids (as well as most anyone who wants to relax) flock as soon as the sun begins to set, because it is so much cooler.  As I was passing some benches, I recognized one of the only Spanish people I have connected with at the locale.  A mother named Soila was sitting down and her two sons, Jeferson and Fredi, were playing soccer with some other young teens. 

I greeted her with two kisses, as is the way is Spain, and sat down on the bench.  She is the lady who conversed with me at the locale my second night in Granada and was so gracious with my Spanish.  With patience and some help from Jeferson, we were able to have a pretty successful conversation.  We talked about why we were in Spain (they are from Ecuador), what we like to do, what the kids did in the summer, the Alhambra, fύtbol, etc. 

Although I am definitely not gifted with fύtbol skills, I am planning on wearing some tennis shoes and visiting again sometime soon.  I am looking forward to seeing what God has in store for me with them.  I’m not sure where they are spiritually yet, but even if they are believers, I’m excited to have made three friends.  J

I know this was so encouraging to me, especially with being so down in regards to my Spanish.  I was in the attitude of being overcome with my weakness, but this is not where God has for us to be.  He gave us this word in 2 Corinthians 12:8-9, connected with one of Paul’s struggles, “Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me.  But He said to me, ‘My grace is sufficient for you, for My power is made perfect in weakness.’  Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ my rest upon me.”   

The language barrier still remains, but God is able to do more than I can imagine, in my weakness.  One of my college professors once asked us, “What are you doing in your life that you can’t do on your own?  What makes your life different from that of a believer?  How are you living by faith?”  This was pretty convicting, and still is, but I’m seeing more of a clear answer now.  Coming to Spain was a faith walk for sure, and I pray that it continues to be.  Stepping out to do ministry, boasting in my inability to communicate well here, is going to be a continual journey of faith.  God is able.   

No comments:

Post a Comment