Pages

Thursday, August 16, 2012

What's Happening in the Kitchen?


The word on the street is that the mop was invented in Spain.  Is this true?  I don’t know.  Even if this isn’t true though, I would say they have another claim to fame.  Although I have no idea where this invention was actually created, I’m attributing it to Spain because this is where I experienced it.  In apartments and homes here, they have an entire cabinet directly above the sink as a designated dish-drying area!  There are two drying shelves hidden by regular cabinet doors – genius in disguise!  I decided to include the picture here because it’s just too cool. 



In less than a 24-hour period I’ve experienced two different Bible-study meetings.  Last night I attended the women’s Bible study (Spanish only).  Although I didn’t understand everything, it was actually encouraging to be in attendance to see questioning and lives shared in another culture’s context.  I spoke for quite awhile with a lady named Julia I met on Sunday and was able to communicate fairly well!  She is a sweet lady who seems pretty interested in the locale and hopefully Jesus too.

This morning we had another team meeting, and I was given the opportunity to lead a little worship.  I think I’m becoming more thankful for times of worship in English.  There is something about being able to praise God in one’s own language, and this is one reason why it is so key that we pray for, go to, and send others to the ends of the earth.  I can’t imagine being a Bible translator, but the work they do to learn the languages is so important!  I realized I haven’t had a small group worship time like that in about four months; it makes me miss and think with joy about my community group back in Hannibal. 

After doing a bit of grocery shopping, I gave fried potatoes another chance and braved preparing the raw meat I purchased…I have a bit of an aversion to it.  J  Thankfully Hannah pointed out I had bought fillets of chicken though, so it made more than one meal which is always a plus!  My conversation with Kassie about the potatoes definitely paid off – with a lot of olive oil and salt, anything can turn out well!  Olive oil is way cheaper here than in the states, which I’m sure can be attributed to the vast number of olive trees around us.  Ha.  Anyway, the meal was quite yummy and thankfully cooking is becoming a little less tedious and more enjoyable.  Plus, I enjoyed a coke made with real sugar.  Definitely a treat! 



No comments:

Post a Comment