Pages

Thursday, August 9, 2012

First Trek to the Park


Snacks?               Check!
Water?                Check!
Stroller?               Check!
Kids?                   Check!
Dog?                    Check!

My first time taking the kids (and Penny the dog) to the park alone went really well.  This was a huge blessing and encouragement, especially after turning off my alarm (therefore showing up late).  Needless to say I had a very quick walk from my place to the house.  I had Cora and Jairus all day so that Brian and Kassie (with Malaki) could get the necessary furniture to move into their apartment this week. 

I think that the parks here are quite enjoyable, with equipment I haven’t seen in the states.  I am posting some pictures to share what I mean.  My personal favorite piece so far is the plastic cup (?) a young child can sit in to be spun around at high speeds.  Although not at this park (I’m hoping to get pictures soon), most of the parks here are decked out with exercise equipment – for adults.  It brings a smile to my face to walk by and see elderly people working out at a park.

While we were there Fernando and Margarita, with their 3-year-old son, came by to enjoy the park as well.  It was a neat experience for me to meet a Spanish family and watch the way they interacted with us and one another.  They were pretty protective over their son as he played, but they graciously helped push Cora on the swings while I was watching Jairus on the slide.  The kids eventually moved to wallowing in the dirt – a universal child joy.  Although the conversation was pretty surface level, it was a bit encouraging to know that communication is possible.  The language barrier is one of the hardest things for me to cope with right now. 

During Cora’s calm-down time, she was lying on the couch and listening to audio Bible stories.  We had a conversation about being on God’s side, Satan being God’s enemy, and who is on God’s side.  It was cool to hear her process and ask these questions at such a young age.  We were able to talk about how you are either on God’s side or you aren’t, and even thinking about this is a good reminder of why I am here.    

When I got back, Hannah and I ended the night with a real-life Operation game involving a plastic piece, the bathroom sink, a flashlight, and a wire hanger.  The things you don’t expect to do but that make a good memory.  J

No comments:

Post a Comment