Pages

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Sleeping in before Shawarma


I decided to give myself a day to sleep in, and in order to give myself a chance, I shut my window shutters completely.  Not only was it cool enough to do this, but the absence of light allowed me to sleep until noon!  I am not thinking this will happen again in the near future, but it was a nice catch-up. 

Becca volunteered to take me to a shawarma restaurant in the centre.  It was so messy but extremely delicious.  The restaurant is Turkish I guess, so it was a different twist on the Greek food I was expecting.  Quite filling though, cheap, and they even had unsweet, lemon Nestea in a can.  Definitely a winner!  The waiter even gave us free hot tea when we finished our meal.  I loved the smallness of the cup and spoon. 



Can I just say again that I like this place???  J

Tonight I got to walk home from the local with an Ecuadorean woman, which was challenging but a good experience.  We were able to communicate for the most part, discussing everything from favorite fruit to length of plane travels to grandchildren to living situations.  I am thankful for the conversation, company, and opportunity to practice Spanish that I wasn’t expecting. 

I look with hope towards a future (even if years down the road) where I can communicate without as much thought, tiredness, or mishaps.  I need to hold on to this hope and not give up in the process.  Language is difficult, but I have some amazing international friends in the states who challenge me and give me a great appreciation for what it means to live in a culture (and language) not your own.  They are officially some of my heroes.  J  

No comments:

Post a Comment